A 26-year-old woman was killed after an Aston Martin allegedly driven by the son of Andhra Pradesh Rajya Sabha MP Lingamaneni Ramesh struck her near Hyderabad’s Inorbit Mall on August 16, police said.
Madhapur police have booked Lingamaneni Sanjush, 21, for allegedly causing death through rash or negligent driving. The case was registered under Section 106(1) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS).
The victim was identified as Bharathi Mukhi, an employee at the Lifestyle store inside Inorbit Mall. She was crossing the road near her workplace at about 3 p.m. after returning from lunch with a colleague when the vehicle allegedly hit her.
The woman waSection 106s returning to work
According to police accounts cited by multiple reports, Mukhi had gone with her colleague Pooja Ashok to the ITC Kohenur area to collect food. The two were returning towards the mall when Mukhi attempted to cross the road.
The vehicle, identified in reports as an Aston Martin DBX707 with registration TG-09-G-0666, allegedly struck her at high speed. She suffered severe head injuries and was taken to Apollo Hospital in Jubilee Hills in the same vehicle. Doctors subsequently declared her dead.
A complaint was filed by the manager of the Lifestyle store, after which the Madhapur police registered the case.
Police identified Sanjush as the person driving the vehicle and named him as the accused in the case. The allegation of rash or negligent driving remains subject to the ongoing investigation and judicial process.
Police book MP’s son
Sanjush is the son of Lingamaneni Ramesh, an Andhra Pradesh Rajya Sabha member associated with the Jana Sena Party.
The case has attracted wider attention because of the accused’s political connection and the involvement of a high-end sports utility vehicle.
The South First reported that police conducted alcohol and drug tests and sent blood samples to a forensic laboratory. It also reported that the vehicle had been seized.
Cyberabad Police subsequently seized the Aston Martin involved in the crash, according to reporting based on police information.
No arrest reported
As of August 21, Sanjush had not been formally arrested, according to the latest reports from the Hyderabad edition of The Times of India.
Madhapur Assistant Commissioner of Police C. Sridhar said the offence invoked in the case is bailable and carries a punishment of less than seven years. Police have issued a notice to the accused, the reports said.
Cyberabad Police Commissioner M. Ramesh Reddy also said that due legal procedures had been followed in handling the case.
There are differing reports about whether Sanjush was briefly detained on the day of the accident. The South First, citing the station house officer, reported that he was detained on August 16, while subsequent reports from police officials have described the current position as a case in which a notice was issued, and no arrest was made.
For that reason, the distinction between detention at the scene or during the initial investigation and a formal arrest in the registered case is important.
Investigation continues
The investigation is continuing, with police examining the circumstances of the collision and the evidence surrounding the alleged driving offence.
The police case does not establish criminal guilt by itself. Any allegation against Sanjush will ultimately have to be tested through the legal process.
The immediate confirmed developments are the death of Bharathi Mukhi, registration of the case under Section 106(1) of the BNS, identification of Sanjush as the accused driver, and seizure of the Aston Martin. The question of further legal action remains with the investigating authorities and, if required, the courts.
