Mumbai model Riya Ahir, who stopped police van seeks FIR withdrawal, action against online threats

Mumbai model Riya Ahir, who stopped police van seeks FIR withdrawal, action against online threats

MUMBAI — Model and actor Riya Ahir has sought the withdrawal of an FIR filed against her following a student protest in Mumbai, while also asking authorities to take action against people she says have threatened and abused her on social media.

Ahir came to prominence in July after a photograph and videos showed her standing in front of a Mumbai Police van carrying detained protesters during demonstrations linked to demands over examination-related issues. The footage quickly spread online, making her one of the most recognisable faces of the Mumbai protests.

The latest development was reported by The Times of India on August 19. According to the report, Ahir is seeking withdrawal of the case against her and action over alleged online harassment.

What happened during the protest

Ahir became widely known after intervening when a police vehicle carrying detained protesters attempted to leave the area during a demonstration at Shivaji Park.

Reports from the time said she stood in front of the vehicle for around 40 minutes. In an interview with The Times of India, Ahir said she believed the treatment of the protesters was wrong and that she did not want to stand by without intervening.

The incident took place against the backdrop of wider student demonstrations over alleged examination irregularities and the government’s handling of the issue. Protests were held in several parts of the country, including Mumbai.

The image of Ahir standing with her arms outstretched in front of the police van subsequently went viral.

FIR becomes a separate issue

The protest also resulted in legal action. Ahir has now asked that the FIR against her be withdrawn.

There is some inconsistency in publicly available reports over the status of that FIR. A July 28 report by Aaj Tak said Ahir had expressed relief after learning that the FIR had been withdrawn.

However, the latest Times of India report says Ahir is still seeking withdrawal of the FIR. A separate report published by the Bengali edition of The Indian Express also said Ahir’s lawyer had indicated that the FIR had not yet been cancelled, while a Mumbai police official told a Youth Congress delegation that the process for withdrawal would begin soon.

Because those reports conflict, the current legal status of the FIR cannot be independently established from the sources reviewed for this report.

Ahir also seeks action over online threats

Alongside her request concerning the FIR, Ahir has raised concerns about threats and abusive messages directed at her on social media.

Earlier, she had approached the Maharashtra Cyber Cell over alleged online harassment, defamation and obscene trolling. In a complaint reported by The Tribune in July, Ahir said social-media users and content creators had targeted her with abusive comments and misleading allegations. She also expressed concern that photographs of her could be digitally altered and misused.

Mumbai Police had said at the time that the complaint was being verified before a decision on registering an FIR would be taken.

The online backlash followed the rapid spread of her protest footage and her subsequent public comments about the student movement.

Why the case has attracted attention

Ahir’s case has become part of a broader discussion around the treatment of protesters and the consequences of viral political and social-media content.

Her intervention during the Mumbai protest was initially widely praised online, but she later became the target of criticism and trolling. In August, Ahir told News24 that she had faced harassment after supporting the protesting students and maintained that she had acted as a citizen rather than as a political activist.

The episode has also drawn political attention. The latest Indian Express report said a Youth Congress delegation met Mumbai Police Joint Commissioner Manoj Sharma regarding the FIR and the alleged online threats against Ahir.

What happens next

The immediate issue is the status of the FIR and whether the withdrawal process reported by police will be completed.

The available reports do not provide an independently verified official document confirming that the case has been formally cancelled. Given the conflicting reports published in late July and August, the precise procedural status remains unclear.

Authorities are also expected to examine the allegations concerning online threats and harassment.

For now, the confirmed development is that Ahir is seeking withdrawal of the FIR and action over alleged online abuse. The final legal status of the case will depend on the action taken by the relevant authorities.

This story may be updated as new information becomes available.

Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *